Athens Farm to School connects school communities with local farms and food through health, agriculture, and food educational activities and community and parental outreach. Our objectives are to increase kids’ and parents’ engagement with food, nutrition, and agriculture, serve fresh healthy meals in school cafeterias, and support small local farms.
Farm to School Resources
- Learn more about Clarke County School District Nutrition, find staff contacts, and see school menus on the CCSD Nutrition Department website.
- The National Farm to School Network, eight regional lead agencies and national staff provide free training and technical assistance, information services, networking, and support for policy, media and marketing activities.
- Southeast Regional Farm to School, Growing Minds is Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project’s Farm to School program, and the Southeast regional lead agency for the National Farm to School Network.
- Georgia Organics Farm to School program provides comprehensive Farm to School programs which include cross-curricular lessons, student gardening, hands-on cooking demonstrations, farm tours and local food procurement into school meals, as well as, advocating for policy on the local, state and national level.
- Athens Farmers Market Athens Farmers Market is an organization of local farmers, craftspeople and volunteers working to make local naturally grown food, crafts and works of art available for the good of all. The AFM Seedlings Club hosts a kids’ educational and interactive craft session every Saturday market from 10AM-12PM.